Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Big News Today

In the right corner of the Lilly Pad weighing in at 2 lbs 15 oz is Ruby "I don't need any O2" Doolittle. 

In the left corner of the Lilly Pad weighing in at 3 lbs 5 oz is Millie "I'm so big I can wear clothes" Doolittle. 



Ruby is off the nasal cannula as of 11:30 today! She has tolerated it great without any desaturations. She was decreased to 0.5 L on the nasal cannula yesterday then off today. It seems fast and sudden to me, but she was ready. She has been on room air level of oxygen for awhile, so she was just getting the pressure from the nasal cannula. Millie has been lowered to 0.5 L on the nasal cannula and is getting anywhere from room air oxygen (21%) to 25%. Millie weighs 1510 grams as of tonight. She had to reach 1500 grams in order to wear clothes. She will still be in the isolate but it will not be temperature controlled. I think she is ready - we are both practically sweating after we do kangaroo care lately. That girl can heat up!

The occupational therapist met with me today and showed me how to do infant massage. It is modified somewhat for preemies, but it is to help loosen tight muscles which preemies tend to have and to also provide positive touch. I'm a little leery of it because everything I've read says not to stroke a preemie and the touch I am providing should be kangaroo, but it was deep slow strokes and Millie did seem super relaxed and happy during it. I can see that it will be really helpful for both girls in another couple of weeks. Preemies want to splay their arms and legs out instead of staying in a flexed position like typical newborns. A lot of the positioning aids they use are to help the babies stay in the flexed position.

I'll try to get some more pictures tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment